EIFF New Visions Short Film Competition will discover the newest voices in Scottish film and bring their visions to the global stage.
*** SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW CLOSED AND SUCCESSFUL FILMMAKERS WILL BE NOTIFIED IN MAY ***
Kick-start your career in film with a New Visions Award 2018!
Are you a filmmaker aged 14 - 25? Submissions are open for the first EIFF New Visions Short Film Competition! Finalists will attend a public screening of their work at EIFF and compete for one of two New Visions Awards. Each award comes with a £300 cash prize. And to make it even more exciting, we have now added the following two prizes:
- The winner in the age category 19-25 will win an exclusive work placement with BBC Studios in Glasgow, travel and/or accommodation provided through EIFF.
- The winner in our age category 14-18 will win a paid trip to Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2018, which takes place from 14-16 Sep 2018, for them and an additional person.
Participation in the New Visions Short Film Competition is completely free and we accept all genres and themes. However, interested filmmakers will need to ensure the following requirements are met:
- Two or more of the lead creatives (Director/Producer/Writer) must be aged 14 to 25 in June 2018*
- The director and one other lead creative (Producer/Writer) must be based in Scotland*
- The submitted short film does not exceed 15 min run-time
- All submitted films must have been completed after June 2017
- Submitted films must be Scottish Festival premieres, which means they can't have screened publicly in Scotland before
- Filmmakers can submit to the age category 14-18 or 19-25
*If the roles of Director, Producer & Writer were filled by the same person, then these rules only apply to this person.
Submissions are now closed.
The programme is curated by The Young & the Wild Youth Jury who will decide on the shortlist and determine the running order for the screening.
All shortlisted films will screen at Edinburgh International Film Festival on Saturday 30 June. Travel bursaries will be available to ensure each finalist can attend the screening.
A panel of judges - made up of film industry professionals - will select two New Visions Award winners. The winning films will be announced on 1 July 2018. Each award comes with a £300 cash prize. On top of that, our winner in the age category 19-25 will get to do a short work experience placement at BBC Studios in Glasgow, with travel/accommodation provided through EIFF. The award winner in the category 14-18 will get to attend Glasgow Youth Film Festival in September 2018, with travel and accommodation for them and an additional person provided through EIFF.
Submitting Your Short
Submissions can be made via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via post to EIFF New Visions, 88 Lothian Road, Edinburgh, EH3 9BZ.
You will need to send us a Submissions Form, a signed Terms and Conditions form and an Equality and Diversity Monitoring Form for each of the core creatives of your short film ( = Writer, Director, Producer). Be aware that if you're under 16, a parent or guardian will need to sign the forms for you.
Please ensure you read the Competition Guidelines thoroughly before submitting your film.
Get in Touch
Forms & Guidance Notes
Competition Guidelines (PDF)
Submissions Form (doc)
Terms and Conditions (doc)
Contributor Release Form (doc)
Music Release Form (doc)
Location Release Form (doc)